Our First Date
(Source: Wikimedia Commons)
It took twelve years before he asked me out on a date. Like a love-struck teen, I anxiously waited for the day, going through several scenarios for how I could make our date memorable for him so he would ask me out again.
When we parked the car, he opened my door and held my hand as he led me into the restaurant. Such a gentleman! It was his favorite Japanese restaurant. We ordered so much food that the waitress had to repeat the order to make sure she heard it right. We ate everything.
Our conversations were simple but meaningful. He talked about his family, his friends, his favorite movies, his dreams, and golf. He was not shy at all. I learned so much about him that I didn’t know these past twelve years. I also shared some stories about my childhood. This was our first time to be by ourselves, alone, without the prying eyes of other people. I found myself seeing the world through his eyes.
When the meal ended, my grandson, Xavier, said, “I am paying for this, Nana.”
“Where did you get the money?” I asked.
“It’s my birthday money,” he replied. “I have $160 in my wallet.”
The bill turned out to be a little less than $100. He handed me the $100 bill and said, “Great. I still have $60 left.”
I didn’t know whether to cry or beam with pride. I chose to do the latter.
Xavier before going to school (Photo courtesy of Mona Lisa Yuchengco)
After lunch we went to my house to watch E.T., the movie, one of my favorites. He had not yet seen it (he wasn’t born yet when the movie was made) and I wanted to re-experience the movie with him. This time, I couldn’t hold back my tears as E.T. said goodbye to Elliot and his family. Xavier and I bonded with an alien who just wanted to go home.
For dinner, I brought him to Le Petit Chef, an immersive culinary show presented in 3D cinema directly on the plate. I brought my husband to this show for his birthday last May, and Xavier heard me talking about it, so he wanted to see it. Xavier was mesmerized by the whole experience. That’s when he told me he wanted to be a content creator when he grew up.
During the dinner break, he escorted me to the restroom, again holding my hand, and waited to bring me back to the restaurant. So thoughtful!
Our special date was nearing its end and I couldn’t help but wonder: will Xavier remember this day as much as I will – every bit of the shared memory – the laughter, the stories, the meals, the photos, the touches and hugs, and how deeply I love him? Children grow up faster than we expect and opportunities to create lasting memories are precious. With my sons and grandchildren, I have learned to build relationships one moment at a time.
It took twelve years before he asked me out on a date. Like a love-struck teen, I anxiously waited for the day.
My first date with my grandson, a full eight hours, is a reminder that love grows strongest when we spend time together. Xavier promised during our date that no matter how old he becomes, he would spend time with me. That’s all I can ask for. P.S. I received this text from my son, Xavier’s father. “Thank you, Mom. Xavier had a great time. He is telling us all about it now and is so excited.”

No comments: